Friday, July 24, 2009

Europe with Teenagers

Last summer I took a small group of teens and adults to Paris, France for six days. It was fun. This summer I took a group of thirteen teens and three adults (four, if you count me) to Italy and Spain for ten days. It was amazing!

I am a teacher, for those who don't know that. I teach at the junior high level (though I would love to secure a high school position); my content area is Art. I have my BFA in sculpture/ceramics/jewelry-metals and a BS in Art Education. But that doesn't really explain my love of art and kids. I really love both, and teaching just came naturally to me. So, now along with my regular responsibilitues as an art teacher at the local junior high school, I lead international trips with a co-worker of mine. It has been an incredible experience thus far, and I think we have started something that is truly amazing for the kids in our district.

We returned to the Memphis area on July 20th after traveling to Rome, Barcelona, and Madrid. Neither the other teacher nor I speak any Italian at all, and my Spanish is more comprehension than anything else (I can understand some, but not too much). While traveling with students to a country where one cannot communicate very well may sound unappealing to many, Crystal and I seem to thrive! Of course, we travel with EF Tours, so we have a Tour Director with us much of the time, but not all of the time.

The kids who have traveled with us have almost without exception matured on the trips. This summer we had a terrific group, and I think that everyone really loved the experience and grew a lot from it. We visited some of the oldest structures on land, and walked the streets where many historic figures traveled before us. It was like walking through history, and it was truly fantastic.

Of course, we also did some serious shopping and spent time at the beach, so there was a very nice balance for everyone! I have posted many photos on Facebook, for those who are my friends there, but I will also post many of my more than 5600 photos on a Picasa album soon. Once I do that I will link to it. For now I will add a few images for you to see some of the amazing places we visited.
Ciao!


Park Guell in Barcelona, Spain. I really love Antoni Gaudi, so this was perhaps the best day of the trip for me!


Coming into Barcelona on the ferry from Rome.


Two of the girls on an overlook in Castel Gandolfo.

Leaving the hotel in Rome. It was a really cool place.

In Zaragoza, Spain

Two of our kids with a fellow traveler in Park Guell

Me in Park Guell


Most of the large group we were a part of, Park Guell


Me and several of our kids in Park Guell

Two of my girls in Park Guell