Friday, March 27, 2009

Fairy(tale) Land


I went into downtown Oakland and over to this little park called "Fairy Land." Gabe had a blast.

I decided to leave after Gabe climbed into the crow's nest in the Pirate Hook/Peter Pan area of the park. He went up and up and into the crow's nest. I felt vertigo just watching him. Then he couldn't get down. He tried coming down facing forward. He tried coming down facing backward. He tried coming headfirst, and that's when I called for reinforcements! A very nice dad came to the rescue and climbed up into the crow's nest and tried to help Gabe down. It was useless. Gabe and I were both relatively calm, but I was beginning to feel a freak out coming on, as Gabe was not digging having this stranger assisting him when Mom was so obviously near. So the nice man lowered Gabe down through the hatch in the crow's nest where I was able to reach up and grab his legs while the man lowered him from above, holding only his hands. I feel anxious just recalling it! Am I a bad mom? I was letting him express his independence and have fun being a boy. Gabe loves to climb and is quite a good little climber. This was just a little over his level of present experience. Had I had another adult with it would not have been an issue as one of us could have climbed up as this dad had done and all would have been great.

Thanks, anonymous "dad" at Fairy Land!!

But, aside from that little bit of excitement, all went well on our excursion. Gabe played with other kids, climbed on a crocodile. played "big bad wolf" in the little pigs house (as well as a pig or two) and basically had a great time running around in a park full of kids his age in a world created just for them.

So... on to some photos!

The crow's nest... oh... what a memory this will make! lol

Riding the carousel was a lot of fun... and the guy who ran it liked Gabe's shark shirt!

A cool little house which was locked... bummer!
Coming down the slide... Blurry, but look at that smile!
Hello, Mr. Owl!
Gabe confronts the Big Bad Wolf
Gabe loved the little houses, even though many were locked and his "magic key" wouldn't work
Discovering the birds on the Ark
Gabe is a "little pig" while Mommy plays "Big Bad Wolf"






1 comment:

Karen Hopkins said...

Incredibly, I used to go to Fairyland when I was little. it was one of our favorite places, and later, I took my neices and nephews there too. Small world. It looks like Gabe had fun. K