Saturday, July 19, 2014

A Long Time Ago in a State Far, Far Away....

... I started a blog. Since my move to California I have pretty much abandoned the old blog but I think I might want to start it up again. I say "might" only as an escape clause. While I do enjoy writing I do not always enjoy writing with an audience.

Life is wonderful and crazy and, on occasion, not too great. Mainly I try to focus on the positive, but since I am a human I can fall short of that mark from time to time. Today, for example, I was a bit more focused on the whole "feeling sorry for myself" outlook which I employ with less frequency than some, but with greater frequency than is altogether healthy. Damn that human nature that I possess!

I have been on a kick to get myself back into the shape I once was, so many years ago. Before teaching. Before a failed marriage and the birth of a child played tug-o-war with my metabolism and self-control. Before 40 showed up. It is a lot harder to lose weight and gain muscle as a 41-year-old woman than it was to do the same thing even five years ago. My advice to chubby or out of shape women in their 30s? Do not wait. Start today and develop good habits as soon as possible! So... back to that kick. I have dropped 18 pounds since the beginning of May. I feel pretty good about that! I wish I could say that I have dropped more weight than the 18 pounds, but that is negative thinking and that is contrary to my attempt at a positive outlook. AND my clothes are a lot looser. I actually had to throw my shorts (previously too snug, only last month!) in the drier and now they fit a little loose and look a lot better.

Overall, the move to Cali was long overdue and has been a great shift in my life. Gabe loves living here. We both love the beach being 20+ miles away. I am a huge fan of the East Bay and will eventually (I hope) make the move to the Oakland area, but for now we are here. Rent is increasing in a few months by a disgusting $400, which has caused me to start searching, but I cannot afford a place in the areas of Oakland in which I would want to find myself raising Gabe. I guess I am going to have to get some more credits taken care of in a hurry so that I can move laterally along the old pay scale and remain financially independent. It is okay as I have always been a pretty determined gal, and this is nothing but another minor bump in the trail.

Well, folks. That is my update. I will post more thoughtful stuff here in a bit, but I just wanted to get on here and take care of the minimal post.

Au revoir!




No comments: