Friday, February 29, 2008

Do you want cheese with that?


I grow weary of the self-centered attitudes of so many people today. I deal with some of the worst since I teach junior high kids. They, as a generation, are some of the most lazy, self-serving, egotistical people ever. What a generation of "MeMe's." Not that one gender is more or less self-centered than the other, but I see it so often in the girls. I feel more like Jerry Springer than Mrs. Hopkins some days! "She said this..." "She did that..." Quit it! Grow up a little and realize that I DON'T REALLY CARE who started it... END IT! I don't believe that I was ever as bad as so many of my kids. I have a lot of really great kids, so please, don't think that I hate teenagers or whatever. I actually really love my students, even the selfish ones. They are a lot of fun. But I grow weary of the drama.

I have two groups of girls right now who are warring and have been trying to use my room as a battleground. They recruit "troops" and plant "bombs" in my room. They are in my 4th and 7th period classes, and I like all of the girls who are involved. I wish I could simply tell them to grow up and get over themselves and that would be enough, but... this whole attitude of "I am the center of the universe" that they seem to have gets in the way. One girl ratted out her friend today over some gum on another girl's artwork, but the one who got in trouble because SHE DID IT is convinced that another student told on her, so now she is plotting against them as well. Am I in the movie "Heathers" or "Mean Girls" or something?? This is out of control. Mr. Heath, my principal, is convinced it is that the girls have their periods. I wish it were that simple. Then it would go away in 4-7 days!

People need to quit behaving like they are the only ones out there that should get preferential treatment and GET OVER THEMSELVES!

The boys are just as bad, but they tend to act alone. One kid got mad at me today because I got onto him for mooching money from students during my class to buy a soda (I allow students who are working hard to buy drinks on Fridays). I told him that he shouldn't waste his time since he wasn't going to be getting a drink as he was not working on art, but only working the class for money. So, in his angst he decided he would "punish" me by not doing his work. LOL Like I care if he does his work or not. It is not like I need the credit; he does. He can fail my class if he wants to. Be my guest.

I love my job. Most days it is really great. I just wish that the kids I teach could see the world through my eyes every once in a while. I am not perfect. I get emotional and crazy, too, but it usually ends in 4-7 days.

No comments: