Monday, April 14, 2008

Long Time, No Blog




Mike told me today that I don't blog very much. True, true... I guess I don't have much to say. I still don't, really, but here I am!
Only 32 work days left until summer!! That is something worth writing about. The year has positively flown by. I feel like I have so much left to do, but not nearly enough time to do it in. This week is a wash since we have standardized testing Monday-Thursday. The last week of school is exams, so that week is pretty much useless for instruction. So, what, that leaves me with 22-23 days for instruction and projects. YIKES!
Mike found these great images of abstract ways to depict the number 7. I am having the kids read articles about abstract artists (Mondrian, Pollack, and Frankenthaler) this week (since I am not in my room due to testing...). I think that is a good introduction to abstraction; start with the OCD Mondrian who believed nature lies and reality looks like his paintings, move on to Jack the Dripper who said once that he is nature, and then on to Helen Frankenthaler with her etheral paintings of color and organic shape.
I think I will ask the kids to create images depicting a number, like those which Mike showed to me. I like the idea, and I think that the kids will be succesful with it. But to have them create a painting, a drawing, or a print? Perhaps a collage??
I dunno. What do you think??

3 comments:

Maunderer said...

http://www.powersofseven.com/

plain jane said...

I vote collage! Not that my vote matters, but I think collages sound like so much fun right now.

Karen Hopkins said...

Ok....So where is the seven in these images? Or am I being too concrete? K