Friday, May 9, 2008

Inverted Tomatoes and More



We have decided to plant our tomatoes upside-down in buckets. It is really quite cool. A few of our friends here told us about it. Maybe I am unique in that I had never heard of such a thing, and, at first, I couldn't imagine how something that sounded so backwards could possibly work. Hopefully this does work since I think we are about to transplant our entire crop of various peppers into upside-down pots! Look, a bucket costs $1.50 at Wal-Mart (I dislike Wal-Mart, but, unfortunately that is what we have here in Marion, ummm... West Memphis) versus a tomato cage that runs at least $6 for a decent one. If you don't want to spend $1.50, you can always go for the free and "recycler" approach and use 6 plastic shopping bags ironed together (see pic). And this little contraption makes for one fine hat, as well!!

2 comments:

plain jane said...

I've never heard of such a thing either. That's so weird! How does it work? I don't understand. Do you poke holes in the bottom of the bucket for the stem or something? Otherwise, how do you keep the plants from just succumbing to gravity and falling out?

plain jane said...

Okay, I looked at the pictures on Michael's blog and it looks like you do poke holes in the bottoms of the buckets. It still seems kind of funny to me though. But, shoot, maybe I'll try it!!