Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sunday, bloody Sunday

So, it is Sunday evening. Started the day out by sleeping until 8. That is a rare occurrence for me, and it felt wonderful! We were at a friend's home until after midnight, watching UFC and playing cards. It was fun. We played progressive Gin, a game I had never even heard of. I am not very good at it and, subsequently, lost. I usually lose at card games. Give me a trivia game, or a game like Boggle, Scattergories, Cranium.. I will be a serious contender. Cards? Not so much.
The A/C in the church is not working, so we held Sacrament and then called it good. After leaving I filled up Gabe's little kiddie pool and started weeding the garden. Since it is the only time my body sees sun, I wore a tank and a pair of Mike's swim trunks and managed to get FRIED! My back is radiating heat. I need to take out stock in Solarcaine! Stupid me. But, I did manage to weed several rows in our garden before calling it a day, and heading into our much cooler home.
I received some not so great but not quite earth shattering news yesterday that my mother and her boyfriend of 15 years have broken up. I believe in marriage. I think that my mom and Dick should have gotten married a long time ago, but because of insurance and such, they didn't. So now my mom is without a home, has a very small income from a very part-time job, and is looking into nursing school. Hey, I say, "Go for it!" My mom is an intelligent and extremely hard-working woman. She is moving in with a friend who's husband died about 12 years ago (tragic... was killed by lightning), and intends to get started on her FAFSA asap. Mike and I have told her that we will do anything we can to help her out. I really wish that there was more we could do, but as it is, we are broke. But, Mom sounds optimistic, and I give her props for that.
Funny. I immediately thought about how my dad's wife is dying (cancer throughout the body) and my mom is single again. Perhaps God has something in store for these two yet? I guess a child never outgrows the desire to see their parents together forever. Silly, really. But, maybe, not so silly after all.
About 2 weeks ago I was rummaging through a box full of old photographs. I happened upon one of my mom and dad taken perhaps 30 years ago (maybe more like 28), and in it my mom is sitting on my dad's lap, she is hugging him and looking at the camera with a girlish grin, and he is kissing her cheek. They looked so happy. I had a fleeting wish, at that moment, in my garage, that my parents were still together. Hmmm....
Well... that is enough on that. I am having a hard time seeing. It is either from not wearing my glasses, or, perhaps, something altogether different.
-me

1 comment:

Karen Hopkins said...

Oh Becky I am so sorry to hear it. I wish the best for your mom. We love you guys and wish you were closer. K