Friday, June 13, 2008

Depression

No, I am not depressed. I am actually in a very good mood. My son is wonderful, my husband is great, I have the very best dog that ever lived, and our garden is growing and growing. So, why the title "Depression?" I am worried about several members of my family right now. My dad suffers from PTSD (who served in the Vietnam "conflict"... erm... WAR... that doesn't?) and has had bouts of depression in the past. Right now he has many very excellent reasons for feeling glum. One, his wife has cancer. Not something manageable, like, I don't know... thyroid cancer. Nope. She has cancer of several regions; brain, liver, lung, bone, and throat, to name the few that I believe I remember correctly. She has come to terms with her cancer and knows that she hasn't much time remaining in the mortal existence, but, my dad... he hasn't. He says that he has, but I do not believe him. He is not good at being alone. I am very concerned about him. He lives in a very small town in northern Minnesota, where it gets really cold and grey in the winter, and they are still waiting for summer right now. Heck, spring would be nice! And to add some more to that, he just had spinal surgery and is recovering from that, after having been laid up since December 26th. Since the stinkin' insurance waited so long, he has irreparable nerve damage in his leg, and the surgery was more complex than it should have been, so recovery is more difficult. I hate that I am so far away from him. I know that he needs his family near him. I am glad that his sister is there right now, as is his brother, helping with housework and taking care of his some-35 thoroughbreds. He is a very active and busy man; he is the hardest working person I have ever met. Sitting still doesn't go over well with him, and he has had to do too much of it recently.
But... he is not my only concern. I worry that my sister-in-law is too isolated, that my mom has made bad decisions lately, and that my best friend is waiting around for a proposal that is slow to come (though, if the guy is as smart as I believe he is, it is forthcoming). I love them all so much, and I desire for them all to be happy. But, like so often is the case, I am powerless in their matters. They have to make good decisions and do what is right for them. I am certain that they have worried about their loved ones at times, as well. We all have. I am not saying that they all keep me up at night. No. But I have had many restless nights regarding at least one of them and no amount of wishing will put me close enough to him to give him a hug and tell him how much he means to me, to his face, so that he can see for himself just how very much I mean it.
Now... I have an incredible son to play with.
Good day!

1 comment:

plain jane said...

It was great talking to you this afternoon. It sounds like your dad is going through a really hard time. Just one of those things would be tough ... to be facing everything at once? Wow. I'll keep him in my prayers.