Monday, June 23, 2008

It has been a while...





I cannot believe that I have not written a post in such a long time!


The garden is amazing! We have had several salads from our little patch and I have made a few dinners using zucchini and basil from what we have planted. Now we have quite a number of squash, gourds, cucumbers, and watermelon that I am eager to bite into, though admittedly it will still be weeks before the latter is ready. I do do enjoy walking around and checking on the progress.


Our corn is about as tall as Mike and is pollinating, which, for me, is kinda exciting! I know... what a dork! But, I am eager to have fresh corn on the cob that we grew ourselves, ya know? I think it will be really nice. I was talking with my mom a few days ago, and she was reminiscing about having entire meals on our table created from what we grew and raised on our tiny hobby farm. With all of the genetically engineered garbage that stocks our grocery stores today, I would love to return to that lifestyle. Perhaps someday Mike and I can have several acres on which we can raise our own food, but, for now, I am happy with our little garden.
I have to take more photos ASAP, but today Gabe and I are hanging our, lamenting the fact that Mike is now in Costa Rica (he left yesterday morning... I began this entry several days ago, but couldn't upload images for some reason, and am only now completing it). Anyway, tomorrow I will spend as long as I can bear in the garden, pulling weeds and stuff. Today, I am playing with Gabe and checking my inbox for some word from Mike.

This little guy was fluttering among our many flowers in the garden. We don't get many pollinaters these days, so I had to get a few pictures of him before he flew off. Since his (or her) little visit, we have had several more zucchini and watermelon, as well as a few canteloupe enlarge within our little patch. Perhaps it brought some friends?!

Until next time... adieu. I will try to be more regular in my blogging!

3 comments:

plain jane said...

I am ridiculously impressed by and jealous of your garden. My garden is green and beautiful and small and slow ... very very small and very very very slow-growing (except for the peas for some reason).

I'm glad you're back to the blog. I've missed you.

Karen Hopkins said...

I love this butterfly. It is a papillio in the Mackayean group. My spelling is probably atrocious. It was one of a number of species that kept us occupied for seasons on end. And you took a great picture. Give gave a kiss from us.

Karen Hopkins said...

GABE not gave. Sorry!