Saturday, June 14, 2008

Why I Want Gabe to be a Scout

Would you know what to do if a tornado struck where you were? We have tornado drills annually at my school and during the drills we are instructed on how to do all we can to protect our students, from moving them away from windows and into an enclosed, interior portion of the building, to the proper position of the kids , facing the wall, toes against wall, knees up, head tucked, with arms folded across their heads. But, in the event an actual tornado rips through our building, I do not know what I should do. I am not prepared well enough for such a catastrophe.

At a Scount campin Iowa, just outside of Omaha, Nebraska, a group of about 100 Scouts were put through such a test. And, sad as it is, 4 were killed in the collapse of a chimney. But, as I cried while reading this article, I felt inspired, too. The Scouts went into full action, even after the tornado left several lying in blood, covered in rocks and wood, the survivors, boys of 13 and 14 years old, performed CPR, applied emergency medical support, and even cut away debris that blocked the path of emergency rescue teams. These children became the heroes of the day, and their heroic actions need to be celebrated.

As a parent with a son I hope will join the Scouts, I am grieved by the loss. I am sad for the parents of the children who were lost, but I am also lifted up by the courage shown by the surviving Scouts. Their strength and courage should demonstrate to us all the power of the human spirit to overcome adversity and do what is right and nobel. These ninety-plus boys should be applauded for their ability to shine in a moment wrought with fear and loss.

To them, their leaders who trained them well, and to their parents, congratulations (for I cannot think of something more fitting at the moment). To those who lost a child, I send my deepest condolences. To everyone else, if you have not already done so, read the story I linked to. It is inspiring. And in the world of today, that is an amazing thing.

1 comment:

plain jane said...

I like your response.

I read a blog where, instead of mourning the loss and applauding the efforts of so many young boys, some of the commenters demanded to know why the scouts had been in the line of a tornado. As if you can predict that kind of thing! I don't know. I've never lived in tornado-land, but I always assumed that tornadoes were fairly unpredictable and that they came on a little too quickly for massive boy scout evacuations.

Luckily, most responses have been like yours....

But, then again, now that I'm looking for the comments so I can give you a link to them, I can't find them. Maybe I dreamed the whole thing. Maybe the insanity is coming from my own mind.