Saturday, June 7, 2008

Gabe Learns About Tomatoes


So, I went out to take some pictures of Gabe and the garden, aiming to get several shots of Gabe in the garden.

After several minutes in the squash and melon patch, we meandered over toward the tomato plants (there are several on the plants now, and Gabe seemed fascinated by them). But, as I was recording images of several plants, Gabe walked up to me and showed me a small grape tomato (in his hand) and said triumphantly, "TA DAAA!" (He has been using this expressive little noise often recently) I told him that it was not good to pick the green tomatoes and that he was not to do it again. Then I sent him in to show Mike.


When Gabe returned I was busily trying to use my auto-focus camera to shoot close-ups of some jalepenos (not easy as the camera preferred focusing on anything but the jalepenos), and I heard the distinct sound of a tomato being popped from it's location on a plant. Lo and behold Gabe had pulled the very nicest, blemish-free, large and very green tomato from a plant a few feet from where I stood. I couldn't help it. I yelled at him. Yep. Sue me! I was upset. I told him in a very stern voice how very bad it is to pluck the tomatoes while they are green. I guess he feels Southern, as he finds it perfectly okay to pick the green ones! But it was even too green for fried green tomatoes. Bummer! So... here is what we did with it.


We played catch with it, of course! Now... where is that tomato??

No comments: