Friday, June 27, 2008

Gabe Fell Down and Bumped His Head...

I went to the playground this morning with two friends and their kids. It was a new experience for Gabe, since this playground has a fake boulder, pint-sized climbing wall, and this cool spinny thing...
Anyway, I was spinning, showing Gabe the cool spinny thing, when he decided that he should jump off of the platform and into my otherwise-occupied arms, without saying a word to me! He jumped and I saw him out of the corner of my eye, as he fell about 3 feet, landing on his forehead on the plastic pedestal I was spinning on. He is a freakin' daredevil! I kinda fell off of the platform (it is hard to stop it while you are spinning), lifted him up as he is screaming and rubbing his little head, and cradled his little body in my arms. I was terrified of what might have happened, but, lucky for him, he inherited his dad's thick skull and his uncle's tolerance for pain ( I should say uncles', as many of the males in both mine and Mike's families are blessed with this high pain tolerance). He cried for about 15 minutes, though, which is extremely long for him, and wanted to leave immediately, even though his best bud, Max was there. Poor Gabe.
So, not wanting him to fall asleep so soon after suffering a blow to the head, I gave him a Coke when we returned home, some ibuprofen, and held him while we watched Toy Story. Within the span of the movie, he was back to his usual self, with hardly even a bruise, but, he was unable to fall asleep even 4 hours later! He has only now, at 4:30, fallen asleep for his noon-time nap! And that only because I put him in the car and drove into Marion and back. He fell asleep when we were about 1.5 miles into our 3.5 mile drive.
And now, I can try to weed, but I think I will spray for bugs and slugs first, and try to weed again in the morning. It is H-O-T outside!!!!!

No comments: